Graduate Research Assistant Positions in Programming Languages and Software Engineering

Graduate Research Assistant Position in Programming Languages and Software Engineering

I am currently seeking a graduate student interested in programming languages and software engineering research to commence at the Fall 2018 semester. Potential research topics include (static/dynamic) program analysis and/or transformation (e.g., refactoring) with a focus on helping to maintain and/or evolve large and complex existing software systems. Potential topics also include automated bug finding approaches and software security w.r.t. software evolution and/or component composition. The successful candidate will be expected to work on projects that normally yield open source developer tool research prototypes, typically plug-ins to popular IDEs, build systems, or static analyzers. More information can be found on the main supervisor’s web page.

Of particular interest are students interested in applying to the City University of New York – CUNY’s Graduate Center Ph.D. program in Computer Science concurrently with the research assistantship.

Please see below for additional details on applying.  (more…)

Program committee member for PLRP’18

I have been invited to serve on the program committee (PC) for the 1st IEEE International Workshop on Programming Languages Research & Practice (PLRP’18) of COMPSAC 2018. The workshop is organized by Hua Ming and Mehdi Bagherzadeh of Oakland University. We look forward to the submissions. The call for papers is listed below: (more…)

Poster and extended abstract accepted at ICSE 2018

I am pleased to announce that our poster and extended abstract entitled, “Poster: Towards safe refactoring for intelligent parallelization of Java 8 streams” has been accepted at the International Conference on Software Engineering 2018! The extended abstract will appear in the conference proceedings companion, and the poster will be presented later this year in Gothenburg, Sweden. It is the first author’s, Yiming Tang, a first-year PhD student at the CUNY Graduate Center, first publication while at CUNY. Congrats, Yiming!

Preprint now available for Proactive Empirical Assessment paper

A preprint version of our paper entitled, “Proactive Empirical Assessment of New Language Feature Adoption via Automated Refactoring: The Case of Java 8 Default Methods,” to appear later this year at <Programming> 2018, is now available.

Paper accepted at ‹Programming› 2018

I am pleased to announce that our paper entitled, “Proactive empirical assessment of new language feature adoption via automated refactoring: The case of Java 8 default methods,”  has been accepted at the 2018 International Conference on the Art, Science, and Engineering of Programming (‹Programming› 2018)! The conference will take place in Nice, France later this year. (more…)

Slides from talk at IBM Programming Languages Day 2017

Slides from our talk at IBM Programming Languages Day 2017 are now available. (more…)

Creating Faculty Portfolio Sites on the Commons | CUNY Academic Commons News

I was recently invited to write an article on creating faculty portfolios on the CUNY Academic Commons for the CUNY Academic Commons News. The article discusses several WordPress plugins to help maximize student/faculty engagement, and could be helpful to other faculty members using WordPress to host their websites.

Organizer for the 2018 International Workshop on API Usage and Evolution (WAPI’18) at ICSE’18

I am pleased to announce that our workshop entitled International Workshop on API Usage and Evolution has been accepted at the 40th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), to take place May 27-June 3 2018, in Gothenburg, Sweden. The workshop is being co-organized with Sven Amann, Sarah Nadi, Hoan Nguyen, and Tien Nguyen.

Talk at IBM Programming Languages Day 2017 on December 4

I will be giving a talk at the 2017 IBM Programming Languages Day on December 4 at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, NY. I will be discussing our recent work on empirically assessing new language features proactively via automated refactoring.

NJPLS at Princeton University, November 20th, 2017

I will be giving a talk at the New Jersey Programming Languages and Systems (NJPLS) seminar at Princeton University on November 20th, 2017 on Automated Refactoring of Legacy Java Software to Default Methods. (more…)

Course on Software Analysis and Transformation at the GC in Spring 2018

I will be lecturing a course at the Graduate Center on Software Analysis and Transformation next Spring 2018 semester. Please encourage those interested to enroll. (more…)

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message